WHAT IS REMOTE ACCESS? HOW TO SECURE REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION
Remote access is an application that allows you to connect and manage your computer over the internet, no matter where your location is, and operates over special protocols.
Although it sounds good, it is a method that brings with it many risks.
Remote Access allows you to connect to your computer via the internet, as well as provide access as if you were physically on the computer.
By default, Remote Access is defined on your computer, but it may not be active. To use this feature, you must have your computer turned on and remote access applications configured. This allows you to access your computer from different locations and use it as if you were on the computer.
With remote access, you can use file sending, file sharing, guest invitation and similar features based on the support of the applications you have used. Remote access generally works between two computers via encrypted private protocols. This traffic contains digitally signed certificates to prevent access by third parties. In this way, a secure access is provided.
What Are Remote Access Solutions?
Remote access comes among the sine qua non applications of IT professionals. Remote Access applications are often used to access resources during the management and expansion of business networks. You can use remote access solutions to your corporate or personal computers using remote access for business trips, work from home, or similar situations.
How To Secure Remote Access
The most important point in remote access is to ensure security. How secure remote access applications even if a contact between two computers, your computer's weaknesses, user errors, and the weaknesses of operating systems or managed applications that are installed on your computers due to malicious cyber attackers can lead to abuse of. At this point, we strongly recommend that you use a firewall and antivirus on your corporate network, and that you follow the corporate password policies.
What Are Remote Access Procedures For Businesses?
• For remote access, authorized corporate employees and corporate computer networks must be inspected and logged.
• The rights and privileges defined to the user connected to remote access must be the same as the local computer privileges.
• The use of VPN must be mandatory in order to maximize security for remote access.
• Corporate security procedures should be applied in the same way to protect privacy and system continuity in VPN access.
• VPN usage must be ensured for a secure connection from your Firewall device in remote access. VPN is absolutely necessary and recommended.
• After the remote access VPN connection is established, only the specified ip addresses must be allowed. These IP addresses must be selected from the corporate central network or internal network of branches.
• One of the IPsec and SSL protocols must be selected in the VPN solution to be provided for remote access. If you are going to provide remote access between your branches, you should opt for IPsec and SSL VPN if you want your personnel to connect to the outside center.
• Remote access contact information of employees of the organization should not be shared with others.
• For mobile remote access, VPN access must be used and corporate security procedures must be applied to configure it.
• Computers that access the corporate network remotely should have full patches and antivirus software up to date.
• Remote access applications and passwords for people who are disconnected from the organization should be disabled.
• For remote access, users must be granted connection permission for specific days and times.
Which Applications Are Available For Access With Remote Computers.
Many applications or software can be selected and used personally for remote access. However, remote access applications and protocols in compliance with the corporate security policies should be selected in the organizational process. A number of professional and paid commercial software can be used for company use, as well as free applications can be selected for personal use.
Firewall security is the most important point when using a corporate remote access connection. VPN and Firewall are among the most important procedures for businesses to control enterprise security during remote operation and to use the enterprise network efficiently. The Berqnet Firewall family provides ideal security for remote access for small and medium businesses, as well as VPN support for free. It also allows connections to be provided for security needs in branch access or remote access in accordance with Log keeping legislation No. 5651.
For personal use, Team Viewer, Logmein, UltraVNC, AnyDesk, Ammyy Admin, Splashtop, Chrome Remote Desktop, VNCP or similar applications are used.
How To Connect To A Remote Computer
You can provide remote access and be part of the same network with Remote Desktop Connection on computers with Windows operating system. Before you can connect to a remote computer, the system must be turned on or hibernate. It is also essential that the “Remote Desktop” feature is enabled on the computer to be connected and that an authorized user is opened for remote access. In the last step, a password protection must be added to the computer to use remote access. It should be noted that remote access cannot be accessed on computers that do not have a password policy defined.
To provide remote access, right-click the My Computer icon and scroll to properties. Select the authorized user by going to remote settings. After selecting the user, you can finish the installation by pressing the OK button. The next step is to open the Remote Desktop application from the opposite computer to enter the ip address of the computer to be accessed and the connection can be provided with the password.
How To Make Chrome Remote Desktop Connection
Chrome Remote Desktop is a remote desktop software developed by Google that allows the user to remotely control another computer through a special protocol developed by Google. The Chrome browser allows you to share desktops between installed computers. It is free and comes among apps that can be used enterprise. Communication between the two computers to connect is achieved through the Special Protocol on the Chrome browser. It can therefore be used on Windows, Linux or Mac operating systems.
Chrome can be used for functions such as File Sharing or computer management if a Remote Desktop Connection is provided. You can easily use it on your desktop, laptop or mobile devices. On the other hand it supports IOS and Android mobile operating systems on mobile devices.
Before you can use Chrome Remote Desktop, you must use your browser, Chrome Remote Desktop. Desktop and laptop users must install the Chrome Remote Desktop web Application.
The installation stages are done the same way for Mac and Windows. After the installation is complete, you must define a PIN on your computer to obtain authorization for remote access. Then you can make a remote connection from any computer or mobile device to the computer to which you have defined the PIN.